Tuesday, October 13, 2015

The quest for granny hair

I wanted to try the granny hair trend, because I like weird things. Google it, I promise it is a thing. I decided to go to school because every time I ask a typical stylist for something odd, they annoy me my trying to talk me out of it. Then they are so surprised that it turns out well. When I go to schools, their eyes light up and they get excited to try whatever I ask for. I just know it will take twice as long as elsewhere, but usually the results are the same quality. I chose the Aveda Institute because I figured it would be a little higher quality.

It was a really swanky place that gave me a smoothie as soon as I walked in the door. The student wasn't sure how to do it so some instructors took over. Here is what I showed them I wanted.


I knew I was going to thrash my hair and that it would have to go super white to get there. I figured it was going well at the half way point when it looked like this.


They asked if I would be ok with hair that was a little blue for a couple days so it would fade to what I wanted. I said sure, thinking it was going to be like this. I know how colors fade fast and it made sense.


Well it didn't end up that way. I think maybe the instructor was going for the gunmetal look, something like this?


Instead, I went home like this.


Nice right?

Needless to say I made an appointment to get it fixed before I left the salon. The next instructor, the color expert, wasn't willing to lighten my hair as much as it required to get there and I was a little hesitant to push it because of the last experience. So I went back to a basic blonde. I mean it was better than this look.


A friend of mind took one look at my weird blue green hair and voluteered to fix it. So as soon as my roots grew out I decided to chase after my grey whale one more time. I left like this, with her telling me my hair was white. She was also very happy my hair didn't fall out completely or break of by my scalp. Always encouraging to hear :)





I didn't think it was white, just a pretty blonde. Either way, it still wasn't the grey hair I was looking for. We were out of time and she said if I wanted to come back we'd try a different toner. The next time, 4 different toners later with ever stylist in the salon consulting, I ended up with this.


Not bad, but unfortunately temporary. It rinses out with every shower and is a pain to put in so I'm abandoing the quest. I just figured I should document the interesting shades in between so I can pull it up to make people feel better about their own bad hair cuts. That and make my children laugh.

3 comments:

Julianne said...

My visiting teacher gets her hair dyed the shade of white/grey that I think you're looking for. She's been doing it for at least 2 years. I should ask her if she had any trouble at first!

jeanene c said...

Oh the adventure! You are so willing to try new things!

LaurenOpie said...

I had honestly never seen this before you posted about it. Yuma is not exactly on the cutting edge of fashion! But then the week you posted this we went to Disneyland and I swear I saw granny hair EVERY WHERE! Totally thought of you :) Thanks for sharing the mishaps along the way!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online